Our intention is to offer access to papers that have been written on sites in Epsom and Ewell for general dissemination. This is a work in progress and more will be added in due course.
Prehistoric and Roman Settlement in
Reigate Road, Ewell: fieldwork conducted
by Tom K Walls 1945-52
with contributions by
Kay Hartley, Pat Nicholaysen, Rosemary Powers and David Williams
This article was published in Surrey Archaeological Collections, Vol. 88, 2001 (pages 1-42) and is reproduced here by kind permission of Surrey Archaeological Society and the author. It may only be used for teaching and research purposes and may not be reproduced for any other purpose without prior consent.
Gazetteer of Romano-British Archaeological Finds
Charles Abdy and Graham Bierton
This gazetteer was published in Surrey Archaeological Collections, Vol. 84, 1997 (pages123-141) and is reproduced here by kind permission of Surrey Archeological Society and the authors. It may be used for teaching and research purposes and may not be reproduced for any other purpose without prior consent.
In July 1976, the Nonsuch Antiquarian Society decided to excavate a small area at the end of the garden of the house known as ‘Woodgate’, London Road, Ewell, as it backs on to the north-west boundary of the extension to the churchyard at the point at which earlier excavations had taken place. Although a scatter of Roman material was found, no structure of any kind was uncovered.
This archive report was written by the author, who did not take part in the excavation, 19 years after the event in order to draw together the records. It is published here with her permission and may be used for teraching and research purpose and may not be reproduced for any othe purpose without prior consent.
St Mary's No.5 Churchyard, Ewell (ECY00)
An Archival Report
An excavation took place in the field adjacent to Churchyard no. 4 in Ewell village in 2000, led by Professor Clive Orton. Whilst this field was named No.5 Churchyard in 2000 it is the same site as Church Meadow (excavated 2012-14). You can access the archival report through the links below:
King William IV site, Ewell Village
This important site was excavated piecemeal over 11 years from 1967 with 26 trenches and 5 directors. Professor Clive Orton took on the mammoth task of writing up the work and it was published in the Surrey Archaeological Collections in 1997. Evidence for activity on the site included: a beaker of Early Bronze Age date, likely to be from a burial; curved gullies which may be eaves-drip gullies for LBA round houses (associated pot); a large Late IA pit with a cremation burial in 1-2 butt beakers, at least 2 Roman wells, a mortared floor building, a possible corn-drier, butchery evidence, large post holes and rubbish pits. Pottery evidence dates main activity on the site to 70-280AD when the features were demolished, filled in and the site levelled by 350AD. One interpretation of the evidence is that this was a ritual site with prehistoric beginnings continuing into the Roman period.
To download this report please click on the following link
The pubished report did not contain a report on the samian stamps. These stamps were examined by samian expert, Joanna Bird, and the information has now been uploaded on an international database of samian stamps.
The website can be found at https://www1.rgzm.de/samian/home/frames2.htm. Click on [Corpvs Vasorvm Arretinorum / Names on Terra Sigillata] - Search Dies. Then put Ewell into the Site box and look on the drop down menu of the findspots to find the archive you want to see.
Roman pottery from the King William IV excavation
Bronze Age beaker with a barbed and tanged arrowhead
Samian stamp rubbings courtesy of Joanna Bird
The published report did not contain a great deal of information on the samian from the site. The original report by Joanna Bird is available here, but please be aware this is a scan of the original document with annotations.
In Search of Roman Ewell - Arthur Jenkins
This manuscript, previously unpublished, was written by Arthur Jenkins, a resident of Stoneleigh and a member of EEHAS (NAS as it was then), in 1973. He drew together many significant references, summarising reports and accounts of archaeological investigation and discovery since 1847 in Ewell, with the inclusion of some previously unpublished material. The remainder of the book deals with his investigations concerning the evidence of prior habitation during the Roman occupation from local disturbed soil surfaces. This research lasted for more than a decade and embraced a fairly wide area, firstly, in the grounds belonging to Bourne Hall and Glyn House, and secondly, on a number of building sites where full archaeological excavation, for one reason or another, was impracticable.
From the evidence of excavation, discovery and his own research, Jenkins formed certain theories concerning Roman Ewell which he outlines in this manuscript.
Whilst it is planned to eventually publish this paper together with photographs and updates on discoveries since 1973, it has been decided to make the original document available to those who are interested in Roman Ewell.
The following reports can be found below:
Prehistoric and Roman Settlement in Reigate Road, Ewell: fieldwork conducted by Tom K Walls 1945-52 Author: Jon Cotton
Gazetteer of Romano-British finds in Ewell Authors: Charles Abdy and Graham Bierton
Excavation at 'Woodgate', London Road, Ewell, Surrey 1976 Author: Eve Myatt-Price
St. Mary's No.5 Churchyard, Ewell (ECY00): an archival report Author: Clive Orton
King William IV site, Ewell Author: Clive Orton (link to ADS)
In Search of Roman Ewell Author: Arthur Jenkins
Excavations at the Roman settlement of Ewell, Surrey: St. Mary's Churchyard 1974-5 Author: Frank Pemberton
Hatch Furlong, Ewell excavations 2006-9 Authors: Jon Cotton and Harvey Sheldon
In 1952 Stane Street was located in the north-eastern corner of St. Mary's Churchyard No.4. In 1970-71 a rescue excavation was conducted whihc revealed four phases of Roman activity.
This report covers a later excavation carried out immediately to the north of the 1970-71 excavation, and west of the presumed line of Stane Street.
Author Frank Pemberton has been involved in archaeology in Ewell for several decades and is currently Archaoelogical Officer for Epsom & Ewell History & Archaeology Society.
Click on the report cover to download the paper.
Hatch Furlong, Ewell: excavations 2006-9
Four seasons of community excavation took place at Hatch Furlong, a site adjacent to the Ewell by-pass (A24). The project was led by Jon Cotton (Museum of London) and Harvey Sheldon (Birkbeck, UCL), supported by Surrey Archaeological Society (SyAS), Epsom & Ewell History & Archaeology Society, Surrey County Archaeological Unit and landowners, the National Trust. A number of finds and 1st-2nd century AD shafts cut into the chalk suggested considerable Roman activity in the area, which lies on the outskirts of the known Roman settlement. Whilst work on the final publication is underway interim reports for each year are accessible to the left, with thanks to SyAS in whose Bulletins they were published.